Château de Montignies-sur-Roc
In a vast walled estate in the northeast of the village, an interesting Classical-style building whose main facade looks out onto the French-style grounds.
Following the redevelopments and extensions of the late 17th-century château by Virginie du Chastel de la Howardries between 1822 and 1847, it's now separate from the very close outbuildings. Painted and built in an L-shape in an enclosed courtyard, these late 17th-century outbuildings are used as stables and garages. Beyond the stream, which has been developed into a pond, the remarkably tree-lined grounds are organized into several areas with a vegetable garden, orchard, flowerbeds, arbours and rows of planting offering various views of the château. An icehouse currently converted into a grotto completes the estate.
The château is the property of the Baron de la Motte Baraffe and isn't open to visitors.
Bibliography : Le Château de Montignies-sur-Roc. Une folie dans les Hauts-Pays, in La maison d'hier et d'aujourd'hui, issue 14, June 1972, p. 14–20.